Saturday, December 24, 2011

My Grown Up Christmas List

I love Christmas music and one of my favorite songs is "Grown Up Christmas List", and as I get older this song really comes alive I guess you could say. Especially this year as I am about to leave for college and begin a new chapter in my life. Certain things about this month that used to be important to me such as how many presents had my name on them under the Christmas tree, or how big, or how much food I could eat because we only cook certain things around this time of year, all the parties I would hope to get invited to, all seemed to not matter anymore. Some of the most precious moments and memories that I have made this month have truly opened my eyes to the true meaning of Christmas and what I truly do want for myself, my family, my future family, and the world I live in. I had the opportunity to sing in a Rest Home and there are no sweeter spirits on this earth than those old wise people who everyday wish for the gift of a visit or someone to talk to them or to listen to them. I found that I didn't really need to ask them questions about themselves because they just went on and on about so many interesting things! I am definitely not going to make visiting a rest home just a once a year thing. I also had the opportunity to go work in the Garden City Cannery for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and the work really turns into fun. Isn't that what Christmas is all about? Helping those less fortunate than us? But it also reminded me that Christmas time is not the only time of year that people need our help....everyday people suffer from hunger, sickness, and other ailments. I think I can take 4 hours out of my busy schedule to do a little service. Plus you get to see a new side of people that you never knew. You find those that are hard workers who make the most of what they are given, those who frequently have to take breaks, those who make things into a game, or stick their fingers in rotten pears hahaha. (That's also a good place to take a date because you figure out a few things ;) ) But the most important thing I have been able to do this past month is spend time with my family. Whether it was singing while Malia played the piano, going shopping at the last minute for Christmas presents with Lauren, taking an evening to watch a whole season of Cake Boss with the family....these are truly the moments and gifts that I hoped for this year. Those with my family and those with my Sizzler family who I have grown to love and hold dear to my heart...This Christmas I'm not wishing for new shoes, a laptop, a new dress, or even my prince charming ;) .......my hope is that Santa will bring me the gift of giving, the gift of hope, and the gift of faith in my Savior who's birthday I will celebrate not only on December 25 but everyday of the year. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment